If you are looking to include more vegetables in your diet, you've come to the right place!
Eating a wide variety of veggies is crucial to maintaining optimal health as vegetables contain all the different vitamins and minerals that your body and immune system requires to work well. As an added benefit they are full of fibre, which will keep you fuller for longer.
For menu inspiration, try these veggie packed recipes.
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
- Dried garlic powder, 1 teaspoon(s), or onion powder
- Allspice, ½ teaspoon(s)
- Ground cumin, ½ teaspoon(s)
- Ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon(s)
- Ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon(s)
- Dried thyme, ½ teaspoon(s)
- Cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon(s)
- Atlantic salmon, raw, 300 g
- Olive oil, 1 teaspoon(s)
- Pumpkin, any type, 1½ cup(s) diced
- Broccolini, 1 bunch(s)
- Green beans, 1 cup(s) chopped
- Baby spinach, 4 cup(s)
- Lime, ½ lime(s), juiced and zested
- Pepper, any type, ground, 1 pinch(s), to taste
- Mayonnaise, 97% Fat-Free, 3 tablespoon(s)
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
To make your jerk seasoning, combine all of the dried herbs and spices in a bowl (garlic/onion powder, allspice, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme and cayenne) and mix well.
Brush both salmon fillets with the olive oil, and sprinkle over as much or as little jerk seasoning as you like, reserving some for the pumpkin.
In a bowl, combine your pumpkin pieces with more jerk seasoning, and use your hands to ensure the pumpkin is evenly coated. Transfer to a roasting tray and cook for 20-30 minutes or until cooked through.
Meanwhile, heat a heavy-based, oven-safe frying pan or skillet over a medium heat. Cook one salmon fillet for 2-3 minutes on each side, then transfer to the oven for five minutes to cook through. Keep remaining salmon fillet in fridge overnight.
Bring a pot of water to the boil and blanch half of the broccolini and green beans for two minutes. Turn off the heat and add half of the spinach, and as soon as it’s wilted, strain the green vegetables. Squeeze over the lime juice and season with black pepper if desired. Alternatively, steam broccolini and beans in a microwave-safe container or steamer.
Combine the lime zest with the mayonnaise and stir together.
To serve, create a bed of greens, top with one salmon steak and a dollop of the lime mayonnaise. Serve with half the pumpkin.
Roast pumpkin and zucchini salad with blackened corn
Cook the vegetables until they start to darken around the edges to give this hearty salad a delicious smoky flavour.
Preparation 15 min
Cooking 30 min
- 450 g pumpkin (any type) unpeeled, seeded and sliced into 1cm wedges
- 2 red onions, sliced into 1cm thick rings
- 2 zucchini, sliced into 1.5cm thick rounds
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 cob sweetcorn
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Tabasco sauce, a few drops
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 120 g baby rocket
Preheat the oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
Arrange the pumpkin, onion and zucchini on the prepared tray and spray with cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then scatter with thyme. Roast the vegetables for 25–30 minutes, turning once, until golden and tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a barbecue or chargrill pan to high and cook the corn, turning often, for 6–8 minutes until slightly charred and tender. When cool enough to handle, place the cob on its end and carefully slice off the kernels, then add to the roast vegetables.
Combine the yoghurt, vinegar, Tabasco and 1 tablespoon cold water in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then mix well to combine. Place the tomato and rocket in a small bowl, drizzle over half the dressing and toss to combine.
Spoon the tomato and rocket mixture onto a serving platter.
Arrange the vegetables on top, then drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.
Coriander and vegetable soup
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
- Beef liquid stock, salt-reduced, 1½ litre(s)
- Onion, any type, 1 medium, halved, thinly sliced
- Ginger, fresh, 8 cm piece(s), peeled and thinly sliced
- Coriander seeds, whole, ½ teaspoon(s), 10 seeds
- Coriander, 1 bunch(es) stems only, roots only, scraped
- Star anise, 4 pod(s)
- Cinnamon stick, 1 stick(s)
- Red chilli, ½ chilli(s)
- Carrot, 2 medium carrot(s), sliced into thin rounds
- Green beans, 225 g, trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths
- Fish sauce, 1 tablespoon(s)
Place the stock, onion, ginger, coriander seeds and roots, star anise, cinnamon and chilli in a large heavy-based stockpot and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the spices and discard. Add the carrot, beans and fish sauce and season with black pepper. Cover and simmer for 6–7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the bean sprouts, herbs and chilli. Squeeze over some lime juice and serve the sauces to the side.