The addition of beef to this classic Russian dish makes it a hearty meal in a bowl to stave off the chill of a winter’s night.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 800 g beef chuck steak, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 1 onion, any type, finely chopped
- 2.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 beetroots, peeled and cubed
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp dried caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.25 litres beef liquid stock
- 80 g Greek yoghurt
- 1.5 tbsp dill, chopped
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the beef and onion and cook, stirring, for 5–6 minutes or until the meat has browned. Add the tomato paste, vegetables, caraway seeds, bay leaf and stock and bring to simmering point, stirring to combine well.
Reduce the heat to low and cook for 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are very tender. Divide among large bowls, then spoon over the yoghurt, sprinkle with the dill and serve immediately.