Dinner: Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
- Olive oil, 1 tablespoon(s)
- Onion, any type, 1 medium, finely chopped
- Celery, 2 stalk(s), finely chopped
- Beef mince, low fat, raw, 800 g, or pork, or veal
- Ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon(s)
- Tomato paste, no added salt, 2 tablespoon(s)
- Tomatoes, diced, canned, any type, 1 400g can(s)
- Basil, 1 handful(s), torn (optional)
- Pumpkin, any type, 800 g, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Heat oil in a large heavy-based non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Once hot add the onion and celery and cook, stirring often, for 3–4 minutes or until the vegetables are just starting to soften. Add the mince and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes or until the mince is browned. Stir in the tomato paste and chopped tomato, bring to simmering point and cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from the heat, stir through the basil (if using) and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer half the mince mixture to a 2 litre capacity roasting tin or baking dish, spreading it evenly over the base. Add half the pumpkin slices, overlapping them to cover the mince. Top with half the parmesan. Repeat with the remaining mince and pumpkin, then cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is very tender.
Leave to stand for 5–10 minutes to cool slightly. Serve lasagne scattered with basil leaves (if using).