Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
- Beef liquid stock, salt-reduced, 1½ litre(s)
- Onion, any type, 1 medium, halved, thinly sliced
- Ginger, fresh, 8 cm piece(s), peeled and thinly sliced
- Coriander seeds, whole, ½ teaspoon(s), 10 seeds
- Coriander, 1 bunch(es) stems only, roots only, scraped
- Star anise, 4 pod(s)
- Cinnamon stick, 1 stick(s)
- Red chilli, ½ chilli(s)
- Carrot, 2 medium carrot(s), sliced into thin rounds
- Green beans, 225 g, trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths
- Fish sauce, 1 tablespoon(s)
Place the stock, onion, ginger, coriander seeds and roots, star anise, cinnamon and chilli in a large heavy-based stockpot and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the spices and discard. Add the carrot, beans and fish sauce and season with black pepper. Cover and simmer for 6–7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the bean sprouts, herbs and chilli. Squeeze over some lime juice and serve the sauces to the side.