Dinner: Serves 4
Food units: Grains 2, Vegetables 4, Dairy 2, Healthy Fats&Oils 1
- 2 eggplants, sliced into rounds
- Olive oil spray
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 320 g firm mozzarella, coarsely grated
- 8 x 4 g slices crunchy wholemeal sourdough, toasted
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 28 slivered almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup basil leaves
Preheat the oven grill to high. Lightly spray the eggplant slices on both sides with olive oil and arrange in a single layer on two large non-stick baking trays. Grill each tray, turning the slices once, for 8-10 minutes or until cooked and golden. Remove and season with freshly ground black pepper.
Place two tomato slices on top of each eggplant slice and grill each tray for a further 1 minute. Top with spring onion and season with freshly ground black pepper, then sprinkle over the mozzarella. Grill each tray for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Divide the toast among four serving plates and spread evenly with the mustard. Top with the hot eggplant slices, then sprinkle with the almonds and lemon zest. Serve warm, scattered with basil leaves.