Preparation 15 mins
Cooking 8 hrs
Food units 1 protein, 2 vegetables, 1 healthy fat and oils
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed of fat
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, any type, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves stripped or 3 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, no added salt
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken liquid stock, salt reduced
- 1 carrot, chopped into 3cm pieces
- 2 teaspoons dried paprika, plus extra to sprinkle
- 400g parsnips, peeled, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 2 teaspoons honey, warmed
- Place a large frying pan over high heat. Spray the shanks with cooking oil and fry in two batches for 7–8 minutes or until browned on all sides, then transfer to the slow-cooker.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the olive oil, onion, garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4–5 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add ½ cup (125 ml) of the chicken stock and stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan, then tip this mixture into the slow-cooker. Add the remaining stock, the carrots and paprika, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 7–8 hours or until the lamb is almost falling off the bone. Skim away any fat from the surface.
- About an hour before you’re ready to eat, preheat the oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Arrange the parsnips on the prepared tray and spray with cooking oil. Drizzle over the honey, season with black pepper and sprinkle with a pinch of extra paprika for 50–60 minutes until the parsnips are golden and crisp.
- Serve the shanks with the carrots and spoon over some sauce. Serve with roast parsnips alongside.
Please note: Add a couple of extra shanks to this recipe to use for leftovers for lunch or dinner - like in a sandwich or a wrap.
More slow cooker recipes
More Total Wellbeing Diet recipes suitable for slow cooking include (members only):
- Pork braised with beans, tomato and chilli
- Garlic and sage chicken with squash and feta salad
- Rich Beef Stew
- Oregano and lemon chicken with Greek salad
- Bourguignon-Style Beef Casserole
- Chicken and Vegetable Country Stew
- Cajun-Spiced Pork with Braised Red Cabbage
- Lamb and Spinach Curry with Roast Cauliflower