Preparation 10 min
Cooking 45 min
Food units: 1 vegetable, 2 healthy oil and fat
- 2 red capsicums, halved and seeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced, any type
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste, no added salt
- 750g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cups vegetable liquid stock, salt reduced
- 1 tablet equal (optional)
- 0.5 cups basil, torn, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place capsicums in a shallow baking dish skin-side up and drizzle with half the oil. Roast for 25 minutes, or until softened. Remove from oven, then cover with foil and allow to cool slightly. Peel off and discard skin and roughly chop flesh.
- Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add capsicum, tomato and stock, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remember to allow the soup to cool, then puree using a blender or hand-held processor. Season to taste. For a sweeter soup add Equal.
- Reheat soup and serve sprinkled with basil.