|Mediterranean mini muffins||Salmon Fishcakes||Berry Cheesecake|
Mediterranean Mini Muffins
Portions 24 mini muffins
- 1 brown onion, halved
- 1/2 red capsicum, deseeded and cut in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tsp of dried Italian herbs
- 50g reduced fat cheese, cut into cubes
- 45 g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 45 g white self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp smoked or sweet paprika
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sliced black olives
- 1 tbsp no-added-salt tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 24-hole mini-muffin pan with olive oil.
- Add onion and capsicum to mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add olive oil and dried herbs and cook 5 min/Varoma/speed 1. Set aside mixture to cool. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Add cheese to clean mixing bowl and grate 10 sec/speed 9.
- Add flours, paprika, salt, pepper, milk, egg, olives, tomato paste and reserved onion mixture to mixing bowl and combine 10 sec/speed 5.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin holes, filling each to two-thirds full. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned, then leave to cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve the muffins warm or at room temperature.
Salmon fishcakes with red capsicum and basil salad
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 3-4 sprigs fresh mint, leaves only
- 2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves only
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 600 g water
- 400 g Desiree potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 415 g tinned pink salmon, drained
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 3-4 sprigs fresh basil, leaves only
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 cup baby spinach (approx. 100 g)
- Add lemon zest, mint, parsley and spring onion to mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 7. Cover and set aside in refrigerator.
- Without cleaning the mixing bowl, add water and place potato into simmering basket. Insert basket into mixing bowl and cook 18 mins/ Varoma/speed 2. Remove simmering basket using the spatula. Set potato aside to cool and discard water. Rinse and dry mixing bowl.
- Add salmon, salt, pepper, reserved herb mixture and reserved potato to mixing bowl and combine 20 sec/Reverse/speed 4, using spatula through hole in mixing lid to help combine. Roll mixture into 8 balls, transfer to a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle flour onto a ThermoMat or work surface and roll fish balls in the flour and flatten gently.
- Heat half the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook 4 fishcakes for 5 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Transfer to a ThermoServer or other large bowl and cover to keep warm. Repeat with 4 remaining cakes.
- To make the salad, combine capsicum, basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, red wine vinegar, olive oil, capers and baby spinach in a large bowl.
- To serve, divide fishcakes between 4 plates and serve with the salad.
- Oil, for greasing
- 400 g reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 lime, zest only
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 150 g mixed berries, fresh or frozen, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- 55 g white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Oil an 18 cm springform cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Add ricotta, flour, sugar, eggs, lime zest and vanilla to mixing bowl and combine 5 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl and repeat mixing 5 sec/speed 6.
* Edited recipes from the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet Recipe Book by Professor Manny Noakes with photography by Alan Benson.