Preparation 20 mins + standing time
Cooking 17 mins
Food units per serve: 2 units protein, 2 unit vegetables
This satisfying vietnamese-style prawn and chicken salad is perfect for dinner on a warm summer’s night. If you want to serve this for lunch though, just halve the amount of prawns and chicken, and accompany with some rice from your bread allowance. Use white, red or savoy cabbage – or a mixture, for added colour and texture.
- Oil spray, 1 spray(s) (2-sec spray)
- Chicken breast, lean, raw, 800 g , trimmed of fat, 4 x 200 g fillets
- Prawns, cooked, shelled, 400 g
- White cabbage, 6 cup(s) , sliced
- Carrot, 2 medium carrot(s) , cut into very fine matchsticks
- Spring onion, 3 medium onion(s) , trimmed and thinly sliced
- Fresh mint, 0.5 bunch(s) , optional
- Coriander, 1 handful(s) , optional
- Red chilli, 3 chilli(s) , 2-3 chopped, optional
- Red wine vinegar, 2.5 tablespoon(s)
- Lime juice, 3 tablespoon(s)
- Fish sauce, 3 tablespoon(s)
- Garlic, 1 clove(s) , crushed
- Lemon peel, 1 teaspoon(s)
- Palm sugar, 1 tablespoon(s) , shaved
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat a non-stick ovenproof frying pan over medium–high heat. Once hot, spray with vegetable oil, add the chicken breasts and cook for 1 minute. Turn the chicken breasts over, add ½ cup (125 ml) water to the pan, then cover tightly with foil and transfer to the oven to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to stand, covered, for 30 minutes or until the chicken has cooled to room temperature.
- For the dressing, place all the ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine well and set aside.
- Cut the chicken into thin slices on the diagonal, then place in a large bowl. Add the prawns, vegetables, herbs (if using) and chilli (if using), and toss to combine well. Pour over the dressing, toss again, then divide among bowls and serve.
Tip: Omit the prawns and double the amount of chicken if you prefer.