Preparation 20 min
Cooking 25 min
Food units per serve: 1 unit vegetables and 1 unit healthy fats and oils
Silky roast eggplant is combined with fragrant spices to create an extremely moreish side dish
- 4 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp smoked or sweet paprika
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 x 400 g tins diced tomato
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 0.5 cups fresh mint
- 0.5 cups coriander, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the eggplants on the prepared tray and spray with olive oil. Roast for 25 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and cook the onion for 3–4 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the ground spices and chilli flakes and stir until fragrant, then stir in the garlic, tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the eggplant, mint and coriander and serve.