LeAnn attributes her weight gain to a very active social life and the eating and drinking that involved. With the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet and support from our dietitians, LeAnn learnt how to keep her social life while eating healthily - and losing 20kg in the process*!
*In 6 months. Individual results may vary.
1. How did you put on the weight?
I turned 40 and life started to throw too many curve balls. As many people do I used bad food to get through the hard times. When life got better I surrounded myself with people who like to socialise, eating out too much, overeating and drinking far too much.
2. Are there any incidents you can recall where your weight was an issue?
My weight has been an issue my entire life. I’ve been a yoyo dieter but have managed to stay at the most 73kg - but then I hit my 40’s! 14 weeks ago I stepped on the scales and saw my weight was almost 90kg - I had to do something.
I was feeling bad and ashamed about myself. I had been working with a personal training for a good 7 months but I was getting bigger purely because of my diet.
3. What sort of foods did you before your weight loss?
I would drink every night - 2-3 glasses of wine - and more if I was with friends. Hot chip at the pub and fatty foods. Even when I was eating good food it was just far too much.
4. Why did you choose the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet?
I work in the medical field and my job is all about clinical outcomes. Because the Total Wellbeing Diet is research-based with strong clinical evidence to support the diet, I know that if I followed the diet I would be successful.
5. Describe a typical day now in terms of what you eat and exercise?
I eat less and choose better my enjoyable food. I drink less. I continue to train with my trainer but at a higher intensity.
6. What are your goals and aspirations for the future?
I’m going to continue on the weight loss campaign. Once I get to the weight I feel happiest at, I'll never let myself move too far from it again!
Support from dietitians
When I signed up, I thought having the help from a qualified professional would encourage me to complete the diet successfully and guide me to get the best results from the Total Wellbeing Diet.
Where I truly benefited was long-term knowledge I gained from talking to my dietitian. The information she gave me helped me better understand weight gain and weight loss.
My dietitian helped me understand the Total Wellbeing Diet and made me comfortable with the options available on how to best make the diet work for me and my lifestyle. We had a great discussion in one of the sessions around the myths around certain food and making better choices.
LeAnn's top 3 weight loss tips
- Get your head in the right space
- Set your goal. Then break it into achievable quarters. Re-evaluate your goal when you reach halfway - it's ok to change it.
- Make some of the dinner recipes from the cookbooks and freeze them in portion sizes. I regularly make chicken stock with Asian aromatics, like ginger, lemongrass, kaffir, lime leaf and fish sauce. I cool the stock overnight and remove any fat and freeze into portion sizes. Add a bit of fish and soba noodles and you have ready-to-go soup for when you’re time poor.
*Individual results may vary